Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Empire State of Mind

Rainy day here in New York. Fitting, I say. The gods are crying for the Mets fans. Our plight: Yankees vs. Phillies. Game one tonight if the rain quits. Alicia Keys and Jay-Z will perform their cool tune "Empire State of Mind" (www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTql9e7A-4&feature=related). There's a freakin rally scheduled for today. Ugh.
I'm a lifelong Mets fan. I was pregnant with my son in 2000 (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/postseason/mlb_ws_recaps.jsp?feature=2000) and was so devastated watching the Mets lose (which apparently happened on my mother's birthday ~ interesting, another thing to be mad at her for, but that's all another post), that is probably why he was born a Mets fan.
So he is fairly upset with me for saying I'd root for the Phillies. I don't buy the whole "support New York" thing; I am a true-blue, bitter Mets fan and hate the Yankees. They're like the spoiled older sibling who does no wrong and is universally regarded as perfect no matter what you do. The Mets could cure cancer, and the Yankees would somehow market it as their accomplishment.
Plus, I actually have a deep connection to Philadelphia. Went to college there. Lived there after that for a couple of years (my Will and Grace years, another post). I love that city. Don't misunderstand: my love affair with New York City is first and foremost, but Philly was like training wheels for me. As a little girl, I always dreamed of living in Manhattan; I wanted to go to sleep and wake up there (seems I was a borough snob even before living here), and I was lucky enough to have that dream come true. But in between growing up in podunk Poconos in a town without a traffic light and making it to the big city, I had a stopover in Philadelphia and it will always hold a special place in my heart.
I understand the Phillies beat us and we hate them. I just hate the Yankees more, and given this Sisyphean task of choosing between bad and worse, I have to go with the Phillies. Mets are out. I don't carry the grudge that far. Yes, Phillies beat us that year, so what, we have been beaten before and we will be beaten again. The Yankees have always been a thorn in our sides and always will be.
I must admit, though, that I softened after reading the New York Post and them wanting to win it for George. The man is decrepit and likely has no idea what is going on, but if it brings him some peace for his team to win another one (number 40?) then so be it. I won't be upset if the Yankees win, I'll just be happier if Philadelphia repeats.
My son will forgive me one day ... or not. He can just add it to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment