Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Earth Day Birth Day!

On April 22, 1970, I was not yet born (don't be horrified, it was just three months later I entered the world), but Earth Day was welcomed. Senator Gaylord Nelson, a Democrat from Wisconsin, proposed the idea in order to demonstrate the "broad and deep support for the environmental movement" (http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/earthday/02.htm). The occasion has endured, and its message is more vital than ever.

Today, all these years later, I embark on my own mission: to demonstrate that soccer moms (hockey moms, whatever moniker has been assigned for the moment) are not political props to be conveniently trotted out during an election cycle and then promptly dismissed once the votes are in; to demonstrate that motherhood is not the pretty picture society (or lying women) would have you believe ~ and that is OK; to demonstrate that moms are multidimensional and should be treated as such ... I have a lot to say about a lot of different things. I hope you will laugh along the way, recognize yourself in some of what I describe and come away feeling better that you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment